This 90 mile journey down the Salmon River in the heart of the Frank Church “River Of No Return” Wilderness offers exceptional views, comfortable water temperatures and rich Idaho history interpreted by our knowledgeable guides. Some will find it hard to put the water gun down or stay out of the famous summer water temps of the Salmon River. Many will opt to sit back, relax, and take in the beauty of the forested canyons and high granite walls. The Main Salmon will amaze you with its white sand beaches and camp sites surrounded by towering Ponderosa Pines, flourishing wildflowers, and amazing wildlife viewing opportunities.
Fishing and hiking opportunities abound; Cutthroat trout are the fish of choice whether you prefer casting spinner in the ripples or fly fishing in the crystal clear tributaries or smallmouth bass fishing the warm pools. If you prefer to view the canyon from the trail, the Main Salmon offers exceptional hiking opportunities with short walks to pictographs and historic homesteads where your guide will share stories of the first river men, pioneers, miners, and Native Americans that once called this canyon their home.
Exclusive Lodge Stay at China Bar Lodge for all MRO trips. Freshen up with a shower and enjoy comfort of the deck overlooking the Salmon River at the mouth of Lemhi Creek. You will spend a night here enjoying the accommodations of indoor plumbing, a comfortable bed in one of our three guest cabins, and a fabulous meal provided by your guides and lodge staff to be served in the spacious lodge common area or on the deck with the sound of the river in the background. What better way to experience the Idaho Wilderness!
With its unforgettable views, pristine beauty, exhilarating whitewater and rich history, the Main Salmon is one of the most prestigious river trips North America has to offer. We hope to create unforgettable memories with you.
Experience some of the most remote whitewater rapids that North America has to offer! You will float through legendary idaho rapids such as;
- Elkhorn Rapid
- Black Canyon Falls
- Chittam Rapid
- Carey Falls
- Spend your evenings on large white sand beaches, only found on free flowing river systems
- Soak in natural hot springs formed by hot magma lying below the earths crust
- Float through steep Granite walls and thick forested canyons
- See inside the lives and homes of: Buckskin Bill, Reho Wolfe, Jim Moore, Francis Zaunmiller, and many more!
- Visit historical sights like: China Bar, Mackay Bar, and Campbell's Ferry,
- Get up close and personal with some of the many Native American Pictographs on the canyon walls
- The South Fork Salmon River
- Sheep Creek
- Bargamin Creek
- And many more around every bend!
Main Salmon River